1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Giving Young Children the Tools to
Older siblings reading to children participating
in 1000 Books Before Kindergarten are Reading
Superheroes and receive prizes. They just have to
write their names next to a star every time they
read a book to a younger children. 50 books
earns a small prize!
Download a program overview
How Does 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Work?
1. Register at the Rockingham Free Public Library to receive your reading log.
2. For every book that you read together (repeat books count, too) color a star or cover it with a reading sticker.
3. After reading 100 books, come back to the Library for a special certificate. After reading 200 books, bring your log back to the Library and win a free book to help build your own book collection.
4. Each time you fill a reading log, come back to the Library to get a new one.
5. When you reach 1000 books, your child will receive a special certificate, a free book, and be added to the Rockingham Library’s “Reading Hall of Fame”
Who is in the Reading Hall of Fame?
Support 1000 Books
While the Library applauds families who already read a lot to their children, 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten makes a special effort to reach families who do not know about the importance of reading to children from a young age.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is made possible through the generous support of the Friends of the Rockingham Library.
You can support this program and others like it by donating to the Friends of the Library.Donate to the Friends of the Library at the Library or online through Paypal:
It's never too early or too late to share books, songs, and rhymes with your child. Click below to learn more about early literacy!