Rockingham Free Public Library
Board of Trustees Meeting
Tuesday November 29, 2016
Present: Doreen Aldrich, Carol Blackwood, Martha Rowley, Leslie Lassetter, Ray Massucco, John Bohannon, Heidi Lauricella, Gary Fox, Celina Houlne
Other’s present: Staff Mary, Polly from the friends, and Charlie Hunter for the fundraising.
Absent: Ellen Taetzsch
- Meeting called to order at 6:20 pm
- No additions to the agenda – move #8 Fundraising to #5 before the Directors Report
- Public Comment – Friends – Polly introduced the party this Saturday from 11 to 1. Come before 11 am and bring some food by, and try to help clean-up.
- Approve Minutes of October 25, 2016 Trustees Meeting:
Heidi moves, Gary seconds;
Discussion – 1. Correnction of call to order time from “am” to “pm”. 2. Correction to the Directors Report library staff discussion – “Nancy Tusinski finished the grant report for the glass plate negatives.” and 2nd paragraph under increased hours of full timers due to the “union contract negotiated earlier in the year” and take out due to “changes to the federal wages and hours rules”
All in favor with noted corrections, motion carries unanimous.
- Fundraising Committee Report – Ray presented motions recommended by their committee.
Motion 1 – approve artwork in general as part of the historic collection – create an acquisition and restoration fund – includes for all the artwork … as well as the historic collection
Motion 2 – create an acquisition and restoration fund Vilas Bridge and the Clock Tower ..
Dicsussion – Or we could have the Friends be the vehicle for the donation.
This needs a decision from the Friends –
Heidi moves 1) the Board support fundraising efforts to acquire two paintings by Jerry Pfohl: the Vilas Bridge and the Clock Tower
Motion carries unanimously
Leslie moves that the Board create a Historical Collection Reserve Fund, for the purpose of acquiring and restoring items in the Library’s Historical Collection. Heidi seconds. Motion is defeated 5 to 0 with 3 abstentions….
- Directors Report – Celina discussed highlights of the Director’s report. Need candidates for the election – ask David Gould, Sam or Ellen from the Promise community for recommendations, post a notice on the Library website.
- Conference very inspiring … Celina and Gary spoke to this and provided information learned at the conference as well as a video series – 10 x 10 minute informational to be viewed at Board Meetings beginning with the new board in the Spring.
- Discussed the budget and concern about town meeting. What if we level fund tax request from town? CPI Boston, New England was 1.5%, reduced to 1%. Fundraising – David Buckley used to go to two people and ask for big donations, Trustees could do this to meet the revenues in the level funded budget adjustment presented by management.
Gary moved and Heidi seconded to accept the level funded budget as presented. 6 for, Martha against, Leslie Abstains … Motion carries.
- No Other Business
- Review Warrants
- Friends will come to the January 24th Board meeting with an answer on the fundraising, Finance Committee annuity management, update on Trustee seats – petition turn in date is January 30th.
- Next Meeting January 24th at 6:15 pm.
- Carol moved and John Seconded to find that premature general public knowledge of the details concerning a personnel matter involving a RFPL employee will clearly place the employee and the boar at a substantial disadvantage by disclosing the personal details of this topic.
Heidi Moved and John Seconded ta the board enter into executive session to discuss a personnel matter where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the RFPL at a substantial disadvantage and that the director be invited to attend.
Came out of Executive Session at 7:55 pm.
- Adjourned at 7:55 pm Doreen moved and Heidi Seconded.
Gary Fox, Secretary