Rockingham Free Public Library
Board of Trustees
Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2021
Present: John Bohannon, Martha Rowley, Ellen Taetzsch, Brady Weinstock, Duane Whitehead, Dale Kondracki, Don Tretler, Kathleen Hacker, Mary Shepard, Celina Houlne
LOCATION: To protect the health of the public, the meeting was held online via Zoom.
1. Call to Order 6:04 pm
2. Additions to Agenda for routine administrative matters and/or pressing matters that will require ratification at a future meeting: n/a
3. Public Comment (3 minutes per person): n/a
4. Approve Minutes of November 10, 2020 Meeting: Ellen moved, Martha seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
5. Director’s Report: Appeal has brought in $5,375; 14 people donated online; 61 people donated directly. Will plan to do the usual spring appeal in May. Roof has sustained some damage during the high winds, a roofer will come to look at it.
6. FY21 Status Report: Roof repair will affect the current budget, which had been below expected.
7. 2021 Town Meeting – Budget Petitions & Board Positions: Petitions for two articles to be voted on at the Annual Town Meeting in March are due to the library no later than Tuesday. (One will require the library budget as presented to the Selectboard to be the same as what is printed in the Town Report; the second will ask voters whether they want the Library budget to be voted by Australian ballot in future years [like the school budget is now].) If each board member could generate about 15 signatures from registered voters, this would be important to be able to get these measures on the agenda. We will have one open board position; Martha and Don are running again for the seats they currently hold.
8. Other Business: n/a
9. Warrants: John will go to the library to sign them.
10. Review Date for Next Board Meeting: March 2 or 9 at 6:00 pm: John moved that we have the meeting on March 9. Martha seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
11. Review Agenda Items for Next Meeting: Reappointing board members to represent the board in union negotiations; reauthorizing board officers to sign routine administrative documents.
12. Director’s Evaluation – Executive Session:
John moved that premature general public knowledge of the details concerning a personnel matter involving an RFPL employee will clearly place the employee and the Board at a substantial disadvantage by disclosing the personal details of this topic. Brady seconded. Motion was unanimously approved.
John moved that the Personnel Committee enter into executive session to discuss a personnel matter where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the RFPL at a substantial disadvantage, and that the Director not be invited to attend. Dale seconded. Motion was unanimously approved.
Entered executive session at 6:30 pm.
Left executive session at 6:40 pm.
John moved that the Board approve the annual evaluation of the Director as discussed and that the Board Chair be directed to present the written evaluation to the Director at his earliest convenience. Kathleen seconded. Motion was unanimously approved.
13. Adjourn: Martha moved to adjourn, Ellen seconded. Meeting adjourned at 6:43 pm.
Brady Weinstock, Secretary