Rockingham Free Public Library
Board of Trustees Meeting
Tuesday, May 7, 2019
Present: John Bohannon, Martha Rowley, Kate Kane, Susan Spaulding, Don Tretler, Kathleen Hacker, Dale Kondracki, Brady Weinstock, Célina Houlné
Absent: Ellen Taetzsch
1. Call to Order : 6:20 PM
2. Additions to Agenda for routine administrative matters and/or pressing matters that will require ratification at a future meeting : None
3. Public Comment (3 minutes per person) : None
4. Approve minutes of March 26 meetings : Brady moved, Kathleen seconded. Célina clarified that the library does not owe the town any more money “for FY18 but will have a net loss for FY19.” Approved unanimously with clarifying language.
5. Director’s Report & FY19 Budget Status Report : Because of the change of dates for board meetings, Célina’s Director’s Report will be for two months ago, not the directly previous month. Today’s report reflects March 31st figures from the town. Whitcomb Foundation gave $2500 donation to General Fund. Book sale still has a lot of books available; $5 per bag of books. Lots of books are still being donated as well! Plants are being gratefully accepted for the plant sale this weekend. Célina completed a culture facilities grant this month, which will be awarded in August; if received, it would pay for railings for art work around the library. Projection based on 3/31/19 figures: biggest shortfall is in fundraising, but spring appeal has not gone out yet. The postcard appeal will go out next week. The projected overall net loss is $16,790.
6. Financial Actions :
a. FY19 Transfer of Funds — Martha moved that the Treasurer of the Rockingham Free Public Library Board of Trustees is hereby authorized and requested to pay to the Town the FY 2019 Trust and Interest Income received to date in the amount of $12,378.99, such amount to be withdrawn from the River Valley Credit Union account #271036 in a bank check made payable to the Town of Rockingham. Library staff will record the payment and deliver it to the Town. Kate seconded. Motion approved unanimously.
b. Reserve Funds — Martha moved that any monies received as Designated Miscellaneous, Memorial, or Historical Donations that remain unspent as of 6/30/2019 be moved into the appropriate Reserve Funds so that they can be used in the future. Brady seconded. Motion approved unanimously.
7. Executive Session– Director’s Semi-Annual Performance Review : Kathleen moved that premature general public knowledge of the details concerning a personnel matter involving a RFPL employee will clearly place the employee and the Board at a substantial disadvantage by disclosing the personal details of this topic. John seconded. Motion passed unanimously. Susan moved that the Board enter into executive session to discuss a personnel matter where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the RFPL at a substantial disadvantage, and that the Director be invited to attend. John seconded. Motion passed unanimously. The board entered executive session at 6:42. The board came out of executive session at 7:07 PM. No action was taken.
8. Other business : Martha asked for a corrected list of Board of Trustees to reflect that Ellen was appointed, not elected. John also reviewed committee assignments and responsibilities. Célina reminded everyone about the Vermont Library Conference.
9. Review and approve warrants : Done.
10. Review action items, and proposed agenda items for next meeting : None
11. Review date for next meeting : July 2, 2019, at 6:15 PM
12. Adjourn : Susan moved to adjourn, Martha seconded. Meeting adjourned at 7:14 PM.