Rockingham Free Public Library
Board of Trustees Meeting
Tuesday, November 27, 2018
Present: John Bohannon, Ellen Taetzsch, Martha Rowley, Kate Kane, Don Tretler,
Brady Weinstock, Susan Spaulding,, Célina Houlné, Mary Van Hartesveldt
Absent: Heidi Lauricella, Gary Fox
1. Call to Order : 6:00 PM
2. Additions to Agenda for routine administrative matters and/or pressing matters that will require ratification at a future meeting : None
3. Public Comment (3 minutes per person) : None
4. Approve Minutes of September 25 Meeting and Minutes of Special October 29 Meeting : Susan moved, Don seconded. Approved unanimously with no discussion.
5. Director’s Report : Célina shared that Sam was able to go to 4-day conference paid for by a grant. Sam presented at the conference, and then returned to Vermont to present to Vermont librarians as well. Virgil also did an ALA program on historical collection management for the last six weeks. Lots of programs have been happening. The annual report is done. Mary and Célina have been working on the budget. The Friends holiday party will be this Saturday, December 1st, from 11:00 – 1:00 at the library. Two new carts were purchased for the library by the Friends.
6. FY 18 Payment to Town : Ellen made the following motion: The Treasurer of the Rockingham Free Public Library Board of Trustees is hereby authorized and requested to pay the FY 2018 balance of Trust and Interest Income not already turned over to the Town in the amount of $10,667.37, such amount to be withdrawn from the River Valley Credit Union account #271036 in a bank check made payable to the Town of Rockingham. The check is to be delivered to Célina or Mary at the Library who will record it and deliver payment to the Town. Kate seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
7. FY 19 Budget Report & FY 20 Proposed Budget : Célina presented the FY19 budget report with figures through October. $1500 has already been recorded in the direct appeal. Next Célina presented the proposed FY20 budget. A new maintenance plan from the town would mean that we would need to add a line item for $2000. The FY20 tax increase is 6.14% this year, but the average yearly increase over the last three years is 3.09%. The insurance incentive increased by 19%, but this is a mandated expense by the Town. Ellen moved to approve the FY20 Budget with the red headings (with the $2000 maintenance fee included); John seconded. After discussion, motion passed unanimously.
8. Executive Session – Director’s Evaluation :
John moved that premature general public knowledge of the details concerning a personnel matter involving a RFPL employee will clearly place the employee and the Board at a substantial disadvantage by disclosing the personal details of this topic. The motion was seconded by Ellen and approved unanimously.
Ellen moved that the Board enter into executive session to discuss a personnel matter where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the RFPL at a substantial disadvantage, and that the Director NOT be invited to attend. The motion was seconded by Kate and approved unanimously.
The board entered executive session at 7:03 PM. The board exited executive session at 7:15 PM, and Ellen moved that the board approve the annual evaluation of the Director as discussed and that the Board Chair be directed to present the written evaluation to the Director at his earliest convenience. Brady seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.
9. Other Business : None
10. Review and Approve Warrants : Completed
11. Review Action Items, and Proposed Agenda Items for Next Meeting : Célina will give feedback on her evaluation and report on long-range planning.
12. Review Date for Next Meeting: January 22, 2019, at 6 PM
13. Review Appeal List : Completed
14. Adjourn : Ellen moved, Martha seconded. Meeting adjourned at 7:20 PM.