Friday, January 3, 2014
LOCATION: Meeting Room, RFPL, Bellows Falls, VT
Board members in attendance: Jan Mitchell-Love, Hope Brissette, Ray Massucco, Deb Wright, Pat Fowler, Elayne Clift, Laura Senes and Carolyn Frisa (by phone).
Staff in attendance: Mary Van Hartesveldt, Emily Zervas and Samantha Maskell.
Public attendees: Arnold Clift and Joe Brissette.
Press in attendance: Domenic Poli (Brattleboro Reformer) and Allison Teague (The Commons).
1. Call to order by Deb Wright at 2:09 pm.
2. Public Comment: None
3. Discuss and vote on 2015 library budget: (Jan Mitchell-Love arrives at 2:18). Elayne Clift states she cannot approve a budget that does not include a 2% salary increase for staff. The staff has worked hard to present a level funded budget. Pat Fowler reports that it has been a difficult budget to manage even without potential staff increases. Deb Wright made a motion to approve the FY 15 budget at $364,270 of which $320,800 will be raised by taxes. This motion, seconded by Ray Massucco, passed with five in favor and two opposed.
4. Plan to attend Tuesday, January 7th’s Rockingham Selectboard meeting to support library budget presentation: The meeting is at 6:00 pm. Mary Van Hartesveldt and Emily Zervas will present the budget, but all trustees should attend if possible to show support.
5. Discuss and approve moving January meeting schedule back to original plan: bylaws revision meeting on Tuesday, January 7th and trustees’ monthly meeting on Tuesday January 14th: Discussed and agreed upon.
6. Other: Eagle Times article and back up docs: Elayne Clift gave a letter she wrote on behalf of the board thanking the highway department and information on the upcoming panel discussion to Jan to send out. Elyane Clift made a motion to appoint Ray Massucco to the Finance Committee. Jan Mitchell-Love stated that the motion was out of order because it is the chairperson’s job to assign committees and that you cannot take action on items under other business. Elayne Clift requested this be put on as an agenda item for the next Trustees meeting. Emily Zervas urged the board to vote on the staff compensation for taking on extra duties. This will be done at the next Trustees meeting. Pat Fowler asked about the outstanding bills for Stephen Ankuda. Deb Wright stated she has asked his office for further clarification and not received a reply. These bills were signed for. Hope Brissette thanks J+H hardware for sponsoring the filming of our meetings. Deb Wright presented an Eagle Times article about removing the library board as the governance of the library and making it an appointed position. Elayne Clift reminded everyone of the panel discussion on what your library can do for you on February 6, 2014.
7. Motion to adjourn: Deb Wright made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Hope Brissette, passed unanimously at 3:50 pm.
These minutes respectfully submitted by Laura Senes on January 8, 2014.