Tuesday, June 4th, 2013, at 4:00 p.m
WOOL-Radio, 33 Bridge Street, in Bellows Falls
Public members in attendance: Samantha Maskell, Ponnie Derby, Alma Beals, Betty Haggerty, Edward Warner, Joe Brissette, Arnold Clift, Elayne Clift, and Donna Stevens.
1. Call to order at 4:07 p.m.
2. Director’s revised moving expense report: Célina Houlné reviews handout of Estimated Moving costs to #41 the Square. Volunteers were used to pack boxes. Laura Senes made a motion to approve moving costs and hire BC Moving to move on Friday. This motion seconded by Carolyn Frisa and failed with a vote of 3 in favor, 3 opposed and 1 abstention. Trustees requested the library director seek out two other moving quotes and check with our insurance carrier about liability coverage if using volunteers to help move. Carolyn Frisa made a motion to approve costs for network, internet and phone lines at 41 the Square once the contract for lease is approved. This motion, seconded by Laura Senes, failed with a vote of 3 in favor, 3 opposed and 1 abstention.
3. Director’s staffing schedule for next 2 months at 41 The Square location: Célina Houlné reviews employee schedule and payroll budget for summer. She will schedule 4 librarians per hour on site. She will not refill Ed’s position until the end of summer but will increase Emily Zervas and Sam Maskell’s hours slightly to make up for the extra work. This will provide a savings of about $3,900. Célina Houlné will be taking medical leave starting Thursday for 3 weeks. Emily Zervas and Sam Maskell will be in charge of library operations in her absence.
4. Review and Discussion of 41 The Square contract requiring authorized RFPL signature to execute: The contract has been checked and amended by the town lawyer who also requested we check to make sure our insurance will cover the library at alternate sites. This was checked and confirmed. Pat Fowler made a motion authorizing the chair to sign the contract to rent 41 the Square, seconded by Laura Senes. The motion failed with 2 in favor, 1 opposed and 2 abstentions.
5. Discuss Letter of Concern-Carolyn: tabled until next trustee meeting on June 10th.
6. Renovation Project update: Chip will give an update at Monday’s board meeting.
7. Executive Session: not needed.
8. Discuss change in Trustees’ Regular Meeting date from Monday June 10, 2013: No longer necessary.
9. Public comment: One member of the pubic asked where and when meetings were posted and why there has been no agenda with the notification recently. Notification of meetings can be posted at any public building but generally can be found at the town hall and police station. For special meetings it may be difficult to set the agenda early enough to post. The State Attorney General has confirmed that agenda does not need to be posted with notification of meetings. One member of the public requested that the board of trustees revisit the decision to close the library building and asked why minutes have not been posted online for the past 6 weeks. A committee has been formed to review the minutes of April 8th, April 17th, May 1st and May 6th to check for accuracy, professionalism and legalityand to then bring recommendations back to the full board. This committee is scheduled to meet next week. Any changes will be altered in open meeting.
10. Adjourn: Motion to adjourn made by Hope Brissette, seconded by Steven Fuller, and passed unanimously at 5:48 p.m.
These minutes respectfully submitted by Secretary Laura Senes, June 11, 2013.