Rockingham Free Public Library
Board of Trustees Meeting
Tuesday, July 24, 2018
Present: John Bohannon, Ellen Taetzsch, Martha Rowley, Kate Kane, Heidi Lauricella, Don Tretler, Brady Weinstock, Susan Spaulding, Célina Houlné
Absent: Gary Fox
- Call to Order : 6:05 PM
- Additions to Agenda for routine administrative matters and/or pressing matters that
will require ratification at a future meeting : Open Meeting Law clarification (added to Item 7)
- Public Comment (3 minutes per person) : None
- Approve Minutes of May 22nd meeting : Ellen moved, Heidi seconded. Célina made two corrections: Debbie Wetzel’s name is misspelled, and the final sentence in Section 9 – Other Business should read, “The library has a Debbie Wetzel painting on display that will be raffled by, and to raise money for, the Community Asylum Seekers Project.” With these changes, the minutes were approved unanimously.
- Director’s Report & FY 2018 Budget Status Report :
- Célina reported that the library is cohosting a Hamiltunes sing-along with Main Street Arts on August 2nd.
- The Friends’ fundraiser will take place at the Welcome Center on August 3rd; goodies are needed; have in packages and ready to hand out. Items can be dropped off on Thursday, August 2nd. The popcorn maker is clean and ready to go.
- There is a leak in the stairwell by the children’s entrance; Bruce from town maintenance has looked at it; Everett Hammond will come to make a plan. It appears that the leak is happening below ground level.
- Budget is not fully up-to-date; still being worked on by Ron at the town; Celina will pass along the updated version with her July monthly report. The RVCU account is $13,000 too high because the interest has been transferred to the town. We will review the budget at the next meeting.
- Fundraising Committee : John called the board’s attention to the item on the FR committee meeting’s minutes indicating that it is important that the annual appeal receive 100% participation from the board. Brady reported that the committee wants to reiterate the importance of board members speaking to members of the community about the library. Approximately $50,000 of the library’s budget does not come from tax dollars.
- Other Business :
- Open Meeting Law update: Célina went over clarification of the law (attached)
- Brady reported on a library training that she attended with Lara Keenan of the Vermont Department of Libraries.
- Review and Approve Warrants : Done
- Review Action Items, and Proposed Agenda Items for Next Meeting : Budget Presentation, Fundraising Committee Report
- Review Date for Next Meeting : September 25 at 6 PM
- Executive Session (If Necessary) : None needed
- Adjourn : Heidi moved; meeting adjourned at 6:37 PM
Kate Kane, Secretary