Board of trustees
Historical Collections Committee
Date: July 25, 2016
Location: Top Floor
Trustees in attendance: Martha Rowley, Heidi Lauricella, Leslie Lassiter
Staff in attendance: Nancy Tusinski, Emily Zervas, Celina Houlne
Others in attendance: Emily Zervas
Absent from committee: Carolyn Frisa, Dwayne Whitehead
- Call to Order – 10:08
- Additions – a) Discuss relationship between library historical collection and Bellows Falls Historical Society. b) creation on Historical Collections Committee Mission Statement
- Public Comment – none
- Elections – By consensus the following people were annouced as members and/or officers of this committee
- Leslie Lasseter – chair
- Heidi Laucirella – secretary
- Carolyn Frisa – non-board committee member
- Dwayne Whitehead – non-board committee member
- Emily Zervas – non-board committee member
- Nancy Tusinski – staff committee member
- Celina Houlne – staff committee member
- Report on status of glass plate negative grant – All work is complete in the rehousing of glass plate negatives and oversized prints. Nancy T is working on the final report, to be submitted to the grantor, The National Endowment of Humanities. The original grant was for $6,000.
- Report on Display of Exhibits – There was much appreciation of the BFUHS yearbook display that happened during Alumni Weekend in June. The yearbooks have been digitized and patrons can access them from home. A ceramics collection was also on display. The top floor cabinets now have locks but the glass is not UV protected. These cases can be used for short term showings.
- Report on status of Local History Collection – Most of the library’s historical collection is in the RFPL with a few items being stored in the cellar of Village Square Booksellers. Items that are not a part of the collection but belong to the library are mostly located in the cellar of Village Square Booksellers with some in the RFPL. The committee crafted a draft motion proposing a process for dealing with historic items that are outside the scope of the collection. This will be read at the July 26, 2016 full board meeting.
- New Business – 2a) The RFPL will continue to partner with the BFHS in the creation and implementation of programs. 2b) The committee unanimously approved the adoption of the mission statement: The Historical Collection Committee, in partnership with the Historical Collection Librarian and the Library Director, shall have the responsibility of forming, implementing, and reviewing the Collection Management Policy for the Rockingham Free Public Library ‘s Historical Collection as authorized by the Library Board of Trustees.
- Next Meeting – as needed; a meeting could be scheduled for about three months from now.
- Adjourn- 11:33am